Summerland Tavern, 49 The Butts
| Alternative Addresses: | Summerland Place | ||
| These premises have been known by different names during their history: | FROM | TO | NAME |
| 1834 | Beerhouse | ||
| 1837 | 1981 | Summerland Tavern | |
| 1981 | 1994 | Fob Watch | |
| 1994 | 1999 | Summerland Tavern | |
| 1999 | 2013 | Butts Retreat | |
This name is a reference to the common lands that once occupied the site. See the Broomfield Tavern.
On 15th December 1837, this pub was advertised for sale with Thomas Eaves as tenant. In 1935 it was a Flowers pub.
In 1981, whilst owned by Whitbread Flowers, it was renamed the FOB WATCH and in 1994 reverted to the SUMMERLAND TAVERN. Then in 1999 it became the BUTTS RETREAT. Note the surprisingly few licensees in a century.![]() The rebuilt Summerland Tavern. (Photo courtesy of David Fry.) | |||
LICENSEES:1837 Thomas Eaves 1850 - 1853 Joseph Jelley 1853 - 1864 Henry Curzons 1864 - 1896 Benjamin Archer 1903 - 1940 William Alfred Sanders 1957 - c1967 Frank Woodward c1967 John Herbert (see also Coombe Abbey Inn, Hastings Tavern) | |||
| Previous page: Sugar Loaf | This page: Summerland Tavern | Next page: Sun |
This name is a reference to the common lands that once occupied the site. See the 