Bell, Bennetts Road South, Keresley
| These premises have been known by different names during their history: | FROM | TO | NAME |
| 1840 | 1851 | Beerhouse | |
| 1851 | Bell | ||
In March 1840 this appears to have been a beer-shop in Keresley, kept by John Goode, then John Foster by 1850.
Early on the pub was owned by Ratliff's until their take-over by Phillips and Marriott in 1899. At this time the pub was valued at £1,000 plus £50 for the adjoining land, and it had a beer-only license.
The early licensees did not earn a living solely by running this village pub but had other occupations too. Walter Probert died in 1912 and his gravestone can be seen in St. Thomas' churchyard.
The original pub was replaced by a modern one, built behind the original building in 1962.
![]() The bell is a distinctive yet simple shape which has greatly appealed to sign makers through the centuries. Church bells and hand bells are usually those that are referred to in pub signs. | |||
LICENSEES:1840 - 1845 John Goode 1850 - 1851 John Foster, butcher 1852 William Goode (had previously been at The Bell in Exhall) 1872 John Neale 1877 - 1912 Walter Probert (also a farmer, collector of poor rates and the King's taxes. Died 29th Sep 1912) 1912 - 1932 Arthur Morris 1936 - 1940 Henry Clarke Bennett 1940 - 1960 John Henry (Harry) Ward (see also Foleshill Old Hall, Crow in the Oak, Foleshill, and Castle Vaults, Market Place) 1962 - 1968 Derek Kent | |||
OWNERS:1847 Messrs John Jordan & Co 1873 - 1899 Ratliff 1899 Phillips & Marriott | |||
| Previous page: Belgrade Theatre Bar | This page: Bell | Next page: Bell |
In March 1840 this appears to have been a beer-shop in Keresley, kept by John Goode, then John Foster by 1850.
Early on the pub was owned by Ratliff's until their take-over by Phillips and Marriott in 1899. At this time the pub was valued at £1,000 plus £50 for the adjoining land, and it had a beer-only license.
The early licensees did not earn a living solely by running this village pub but had other occupations too. Walter Probert died in 1912 and his gravestone can be seen in St. Thomas' churchyard.
The original pub was replaced by a modern one, built behind the original building in 1962.
